You know the saying that it never rains, but it pours? Well, that was September and October for us. It seems like we're the ones who do most of the travelling to see family most of the time, because everyone lives far away from us and we're the only ones that live in this area. So, when we get someone who wants to come see us, it's pretty great! However, maybe they could learn to space it out a bit? I'm really not complaining. I'm just glad that everyone came to visit! It seemed like we had a different visitor every week or weekend. First we had my Dad come visit (which I've already told you about). This was followed by Tom's parents one weekend; Rachel, Karlin and Cole (my sis-and bro-in-law) the next weekend; then my cousin Benita the following weekend. My Dad was interested in getting some apples from the orchard to take back home, so we took a trip there when he came. When Rob and Carol came (Tom's parents), they thought it would be neat to take Ethan to the "fun" orchard (Ferguson's Morningside) that has kids' activities, etc. Rachel and Karlin came and, guess what? They wanted to take Cole to that orchard, too, like we'd done last year. Before Benita came, I said to Tom. The only thing I don't feel like doing when Benita is here is going to an apple orchard! Well, when she got here, we were talking about the things to do in this area. Among other things, which we also did, she thought it'd be cool to see an apple orchard, which she'd never seen before. So.... we had an orchard visit again! I've been eating a lot of apples, needless to say! I even made two apple pies, which is amazing for me, since I don't usually like to bake. The first one wasn't my favourite. It was a Dutch apple pie, which I guess I don't care for that much. We had another one we bought at the orchard, which was a double crusted pie ... yum. The last one was the second one that I made. I have to say, in spite of sounding egotistical, it was a really awesome pie! I think it's one of the best I've ever had. I'll post the recipe for you. I got it from a Radbourne family cookbook I was given.
FRAN'S APPLE PIE
Filling:
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
6 large tart apples (I usee Wealthy this last time)
2 Tbsp butter
Topping:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Filing: slice apples. Mix ingredients. Dish into pie crust of your choice.
Topping: Mix ingredients until crumbly. Crumble over pie.
Bake 30 minutes. Cool. Serve. (We put ice cream and caramel syrup on ours.)
Sorry, no pictures of the pie.
Ferguson's Morningside Orchard

Benita has her first caramel apple.


Ethan enjoying Sabrina's homemade caramel apples -- actually, he just ate caramel, no apple. Figures!

Carter and Ethan enjoying a treat. We miss you, Carter! You need to come over and play again!

Little Pooh Bear likes his candy as much as Winnie the Pooh loves his honey.

Getting abducted for my birthday.

My abductors.

Some people seem to be under the impression that I'm getting old.
5 comments:
I turn 30 today so Katrina helped me out with some of those same items. I say that we get her back really bad next year!
Happy Belated Birthday!!
Amazing how 30 isn't really that old, huh?!?!
wait until you are 49 like me..i will be 49 always now. amazing how 30 at one time did seem old.
i love going to the orchards.preston has one with great hot fresh apple turnovers and any other fresh apple baked,carmeled item you can think of..OINK
You know, we have lived here 10 years now and have not gone to an orchard yet. Well, I guess the kids manage to get to them every year, at least in elementary school for their field trips. But me, I'll have to check one out sometime.
Happy belated Birthday! I got off really easy for my 30th, mainly because Parker was only a month old at the time. :) Guess I timed that well. After the surprise birthday party I had for Travis for his 30th, I suppose I should be worried about what he's got planned for my 40th! He's got a lot of time to think about that....
Happy Belated Birthday! Fun to read about your Sept/Oct. and chuckled about company. I didn't realize it was your 30th!!!! It was very nice for you to have a lady's night out. We need to get together - let's work on Tom to get out of Winona and come north.
Post a Comment