Thursday, April 28, 2011

Five Candles on the Cake




So hard to believe that there were really FIVE candles on the cake this year! My little boy is growing up so fast! I can't believe he'll be starting kindergarten this year, either!



This years' passions: legos and dinosaurs. They have definitely surpassed Ethan's obsession with trains. He immerses himself completely in his new loves. He will spend hours playing with legos, oblivious to the rest of the world except when he can't find a lego piece he needs. He no longer pretends to be a train, instead, he now pretends to be a dinosaur. We were walking through a store today and he was doing his dinosaur impression, stomping around and roaring at everybody he passed. I was amused to watch the reactions of the other shoppers and salespeople around us. Let's just say that we were either getting outright stares from those who didn't know what was wrong with him, or chuckles from those that figured out what he was doing. One nice thing about shopping during the daytime is that you mostly run into either retired people who love to watch the kids or other mothers who understand what you're going through! I had to laugh one day at supper when he was being a Tyrannasuarus Rex at the table and barely being able to eat his food because "T-Rex has little arms" that he was holding scrunched up against his side. Apparantly the impersonation was more important than the meal.


The new lego set we got him for his birthday.

He didn't waste any time diving in and getting it started.

I had expected it to take him a few days to do it, as it looked pretty complex to the pea-brained mother. However, it was done by the next evening -- and that was with lots of other things happening on those days. I am glad that he loves lego, I'm just wondering what happened to my kitchen? I thought I had plently of counter space, until all of Ethan's legos started taking over! I am ready for a new location!

Anyway, back to Ethan, he has been really tempermental lately, and it's hard to know what to do with him sometimes. There are times when he's so smart and perceptive that he amazes me, yet other times when he acts like a two year old. Maybe this is all part of the package with a five year old. On the plus side, he has made some great strides in another area he's struggled with for a long time. Let's just say that he earned himself a new train toy that I have been saving for him for 2 years. I won't go into details, but those of you who know Ethan's history should understand.


Although he's now five, I'm glad to see that he doesn't think he's too old to still give Mom a hug and kiss. He has always been my snuggler, and he hasn't changed. Sometimes he still asks me at night time if I'll lay down beside him for a bit and talk to him. When I have the time, and if it's not too late, it's actually kind of nice, because he'll tell me all about everything. He's so mellow then. The stubborness is gone; there are no battle of wills, just the mutual affection of being with one of the people you love the most. I am interested to see what kind of person he'll turn out to be. He has his Daddy's brain, but my personality in a lot of ways (unfortunately for him!). So many things the future may hold. But for now, I'm just glad to hold on to my little boy while I still can. The challenges of today will seem like nothing in 10 years. In 20 years, I'll probably miss that little voice calling, "Mom, I need you!" And the laundry and dishes can always wait.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Happy Birthday Ethan!! I can't believe how fast 5 years went! Our boys would get along so well....P is in love with legos and dinos as well. Why did we move away again? :P

Neisha said...

haha, had to laugh about his being a T-rex :)

Happy Birthday to Ethan!!

shannon g said...

Too Cute! Happy Birthday Ethan. Last wknd, Jon and I went to the Field Museum in Chicago...and got to see lots of dinosaur fossils, including the largest (?) T-Rex-Sue...found in SD. very cool....thought of Ethan while we were there. He would have loved it!