Sunday, November 20, 2011

September, september, remember september, it's only a memory away.

September.  So long ago already, but I have an unfinished post full of our fun-filled month that I thought I should finish and share. 
Not long after Ethan started school, we went to a local mill where they had some special things going on for the weekend.  The kids got to grind corn, pump water from an old pump, play with clay, make rope, and have a pancake breakfast. 

During the time we were there, they ran the old mill.  There were gears and belts going all over the place and a completely fascinated Ethan was enthusiastically watching the gears and running from level to level to see what belt was connected to where.  Tom, also of an inquiring mind, loved this show of interest and spent a long time showing and explaining how it all worked.  Kaitlyn and I, the less analytically inclined, got tired of this after awhile, so we went to chat up the shoemaker, watch the blacksmith and try out the stilts.  It was fun to see Ethan's (and Tom's) enthusiam for figuring out how the mill worked. 
We weighed the kids in, but apparantly they're underweight. Guess we can't tell them they feel like carrying a sack of flour yet ... just a sack of potatoes.

... and the power behind all of that action.
Kaitlyn is our little jukebox.  She's always singing and entertaining us.  She also likes plunking away on the ivories ...er... plastics (although mostly just when I'm trying to play). 
One sunny day, the kids decided that their loader needed a wash and detailing. 
Now that we have a little more free time during the day, we like to visit the library.  For the kids, a bag full of new library books is about as exciting as bringing home a box of cany.  Kaitlyn is also fascinated with this computer at the library.  I think it's mostly because there's so many buttons to press! :-) 
We love the Art Museum near us, too ... it has a day where kids can come and do crafts, paint and other creative things.  I love how Kaitlyn is biting her tongue as she concentrates on her painting.   
On the home front, Ethan is an amazingly detailed artist.  He notices the little things and always tries to get them into his drawings.  Sometimes, someone is lucky enough to get a homemade card from him.  (Is it wrong that I'd rather get my kid to make a card for someone than go out and buy one myself?)  One thing I've found is that when my kids make thank you cards themselves, they seem to be more thankful and remember who has done something nice for them.  I feel that learning to thank people sincerely is an important thing to learn in life. 
My cousin, Benita, came to visit.  It was so fun having her here!   I was a part of her life a lot when she was young, but haven't been as much in the last 11 years since moving away.  It was so fun to get to know her now as an adult.  It was great to make a connection with her as more than just a cousin, but as a friend.  She's grown into a thoughtful and caring woman.  Thanks for coming, Bee!
   
I captured a cute moment of Tom reading to the kids.  They love hearing stories.
We had a really nice convention and then Mom and Dad came to visit for a few days after convention.  Mom had some relaxing days catching up on some scrapbooking. 
We went adventuring while they were here.  I love this location, don't you?  Aside from being a chilly day, it was fun to be together. 
We checked out the Eagle Centre, which was really neat.  I definitely recommend it.  Kaitlyn was reveling in all the Grandparent time while Ethan was at school. 
We stopped by a local market and checked out the end of season flowers, pumpkins, apples, and taste-tested the peanuts, apples and root beer.  Kaitlyn had to try them a few times, just to be sure they were good enough to bring some home. 
Kaitlyn was fascinated with the garden ornaments, especially this funny looking bird. 

 I managed to get a nice shot of Mom and Dad, too.  You two look nice together.  :-)

Ahh, one of the best parts of fall!  Also why I love to go to the apple orchards and markets this time of year! 
During our adventures, we came across a pumpkin festival in a small town, where all the local businesses decorated pumpkins.  Kaitlyn really liked this one of the Tooth Fairy.
And Benita found the gourd of her dreams ;-)
It was getting a little lonely what with having nothing going on this month, so we had a visit from Uncle Hughie and Auntie Janet, too (who also took Benita back home). 
Kaitlyn had Uncle Hughie wrapped around her little finger.  Oh, the things he'd do for her ... she soaked it all up, of course!  :-)  I remember as a kid that we tried Uncle Hughie's patience a lot ... apparantly he's mellowed with age.  :-)
We went up to the top of a bluff that looked over the city and admired the view. 
I love this picture of Benita and Kaitlyn as they were skipping down the path back to the car.  Auntie Janet looked after them and commented on how it was history repeating itself.  We used to do the same thing with her when we were little.  We LOVED to go visit Aunt Janet in her Toronto apartment and skip down the streets with her.  Then, when Benita was little, my sister and I did the same thing with her and her brother, Douglas.  Funny how that happens, isn't it?
Auntie Janet and Uncle Hughie ... still holding hands after all these years. :-)  So sweet to see. 

Such an enjoyable month, September was.  Full of new beginnings, changes, and lots of visitors.  We are so glad to see family and love being able to have room for visitors.  If you're friends or family, we have a guest room waiting for you.  Tomorrow, tomorrow, come visit, tomorrow, it's only a dream away. 


4 comments:

meghan said...

What a fun month of September. Pickwick days look like a lot of fun. We have never been, but should go in the future! After talking about cameras on Friday, yours takes amazing pictures, or maybe it is the photographer too. You have a great eye for getting a beautiful shot! Maybe you should become a photographer??!!?? We could be your ginnie pigs! :)

goatgirl said...

A true treasury of pictures and the ones we shared in certainly inspire wonderful memories!! Your children are charmers and we thoroughly enjoyed spending time there. I love the picture of Benita and her new found buddy!!!

Neisha said...

I must have missed this post...I enjoyed all the pictures...your kids are getting big!

bumbleB said...

I really enjoyed this trip to see you all! It was so wonderful and I just wish I could come stay forever...
Thanks for everything!