Over Memorial Day Weekend, we went to visit Tom's parents. As soon as Ethan heard we were going, he started asking if we would get to go fishing with Grandpa Rob. Normally this wouldn't have been too big of a deal, but Tom's sister and family (with their 2 kids) were also going to be there. This, of course, would cause a bit of a problem if we were all going to go fishing in the small motorboat, as they normally do. However, the kids didn't give up on the idea and by the time Saturday rolled around, Ethan and Kaitlyn had gotten their 2 cousins on board with their plan and every few minutes someone would say, "Grandpa, when can we go fishing?" The weather also wasn't cooperating, as it was rain and thunderstorms for all of Friday and all morning Saturday. By Saturday afternoon, the storms had stopped and Grandma Carol had suggested a plan: taking the kids to a nearby lake and fishing off the dock. Well, the adult fishermen weren't sure how that'd go as usually fishing from the dock was pretty slow.
Little did they know.
The chatter and excitement was palpable as we piled into two vehicles and headed out to the lake. The two boys had already been fishing several times, but the two girls (ages 3 and 4) had never gone before. Kaitlyn had gotten a fishing rod for her 2nd birthday that had waited patiently to be used. Now, as Kaitlyn chatted nonstop, it was going to be put into action.
Rachel and Karlin went to get a fishing license and left their 2 kids with us at the dock. Grandpa had the bait ready and baited the first hook. Before the 2nd rod had even been baited, Cole had already caught his first fish.
It wasn't long before all 4 kids were fishing and catching something every few minutes. This, of course, kept Tom and Grandpa Rob very busy. I, on the other hand, was strictly helping catch and taking picutres ... I couldn't bear the thought of touching those slimy fish or minnows. After Rachel and Karlin came back, Karlin got put to work on the baiting and unhooking as well. Rachel, like me, has never been a big fan of fishing.
Ethan was thrilled to be catching fish, but as he wasn't catching as many as Cole was, he kept wanting to change his fishing spot to where Cole was because he figured that had to be the better spot.
Kaitlyn got the biggest catch of the day. She was getting right into the fishing and before long was doing all the reeling in herself. I think she's hooked. :-)
Ethan, right into the spirit of things, reeling in a "big" one. He was carefully keeping count of how many of his were "keepers." He was so disappointed every time we had to throw a little one back.
Although Mihiret caught a few fish, too, she was more interested in checking out what everyone else was doing and sticking her hand in the live well to play with the minnows. She loved being able to go fetch minnows for anyone that needed one.
Mihiret and Kaitlyn checking out an especially active minnow (probably was trying to get away!)
Rachel, who had grown up with a fishing-loving Dad, had never had any interest in fishing before and would only ever go out on the boat with her Dad to read a book. Surprising us all, Rachel seemed to have gotten the fishing bug this weekend, too! She was reeling them in and before long, she was even baiting her own hook and taking her off own fish.
With not even my fish-hating friend Rachel to join me and many expectant empty hooks waiting, I had no other choice but to join the crowd. So, I took the plunge and put my hand into the live well. Eww. The squirmy minnows slid against my hand making me shriek. Mihiret looked at me, wondering what on earth could be wrong with this situation. So, I took a deep breath and tried again. This time I managed to capture one of the squigling little creatures and tried not to shriek again as it struggled in my hand. I lost the first one. It ended up on the dock and Mihiret rescued it. The second time around, I managed to get it to its destination. A few more practices and I was finally willing to try baiting the hook. It felt like a murderer as I stuck a hook into the top of the poor innocent little thing, but somehow I managed to do it. Although I did get caught up in the thrill of catching fish (I know now why it's so much fun), I didn't manage to ever take a fish off the hook. Well, I guess I'll have to save something to learn for next time.
We got back to Grandma and Grandpas and the kids were so excited with their bucket of fish that they'd caught. They had to be sure to show Grandma Carol and tell her all their big fishing tales! We had fish for lunch the next day and I (who have never liked eating fish) had to admit that they didn't taste half bad. Ethan and Kaitlyn ate them like they were candy. Hmmm, how did this girl who always hated fish end up with a family like this? I think I'm outnumbered. Let the fishing continue!
2 comments:
Looks like a fun a successful fishing trip!
so...when are we going?
Post a Comment