I hope Meghan's sister, Alisha, won't mind me sharing this photo, but I love the story that goes with it.
Last week, we were at my friend, Meghan's, graduation party. It was a festive gathering of friends and some of Meghan's family from afar also came to celebrate the special day with her. It also was like a mini reunion for the daycare kids that used to come to Meghan's house. The kids soon disappeared upstairs and were having a great time playing until, inevitably, someone's feelings got hurt and a forlorn little Laney ended up in the living room looking for sympathy. Her kind and wise Aunt Alisha (not even sure if I'm spelling that right) suggested Laney get a book and come and sit on her lap. They had been through a few books already when one of the other kids came down looking for Laney. The lure of a story seemed to entrance the child and before long he or she was also engrossed in the story. Then, one by one, like moths to a light, there they all were, spellbound by the story, their squabbles forgotten.
Never underestimate the power of reading.
A special thank you to Meghan, who always made sure to take the time to read to all the children in her care. I think the picture proves that you've taught them all to love books.
1 comment:
Agreed! I've watched the same thing happen with many kids - the power of reading! :)
Post a Comment