Drinking tea and a love of Winnie the Pooh stories are part of my heritage. One of the traditions that my family had growing up was that, when dessert was served with a big family meal, they would make a big pot of tea and then sit and drink it together while they talked. My Dad and I have never shared this fondness for tea, but the rest of them can sit for hours together drinking the bitter stuff. So, I surprised them all last time we were there by accepting a cup of tea. It was a blustery day and, although I may be a bear of very little brains, even I knew that the hot tea would warm me up. To my own surprise, when I tasted it, it actually tasted pretty good! I really shocked them all by drinking not one, not two, but THREE cups of tea! And, yes, it did warm me up, too. :-) I learned that my mom had made a different kind of tea (Earl Gray) instead of the usual Orange Pekoe that she usually drinks. Aha. Much better.
Back at home, the weather was no warmer and I'm pretty much always cold. So, one day I had a brainy type idea to make myself a cup of tea. This time I made a ginger herbal tea, which was quite tasty. I downed a couple cups while Kaitlyn looked on with interest. Drinking tea was a novel idea to her. Then, she remembered the tea cup that she'd gotten from her Great Grandma Elsie and she decided that she really wanted to try it out. The teacup is a pretty special one that was given to my Grandma Elsie from her Great Aunt when she was a little girl. That sounds pretty old already, but that's not all, it was actually given to the Great Aunt when SHE was a little girl. So, now my Grandma has passed it on to Kaitlyn, which just gets me all sentimental, so I'll stop talking about that. Anyway, with that kind of history, I wasn't sure if I should let her use it, but then I thought ... really, what's the point of having something so special if it's never used? So, Kaitlyn had her first cup of tea. She guzzled it down (after an ice cube had cooled it off) and promptly asked for more. So we sat there, she and I, eating toast and drinking tea and talking about silly things and I had a Pooh Bear Moment when I felt like everything was just hummy and I could sit with my little Piglet forever like this and all would be well in the Hundred Acre Wood. It was already so sweet, we didn't even need the "hunny."
Kaityln sipping her first cup of tea.
My favourite teacup. :-)
Kaitlyn's special teacup.
4 comments:
love this post. my kids have been interested in tea lately too. i like when they ask for it after supper & sit at the table sipping and reading!
awe, i love this post! i try to drink it every winter...i agree-some go down better than others (bitter). maybe you and miss K need to come over some afternoon for tea? =)
Love...fun times you two are having precious memories are grand. love the cups
Welcome to the world of Tea! I suggest chai. It's my favorite and Max loves it too. More reminiscent of hot chocolate than tea. Half water, half milk, the tea bag and, of course, hunny!
Post a Comment