Thanksgiving, in Canada, is in October. The last time I celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving was about 10 years ago when I still lived there. I don't miss the turkey or the mashed potatoes, I don't miss the vegetable side dishes or the gravy, but I do miss the pie and the stuffing. And, more than the food, I miss being with my family. I don't think I appreciated it at the time, but in retrospect, I realize that getting together with all my family was what really made it a special day.
We made it back home recently, not for Thanksgiving, but because we had a long weekend and we wanted to spend some time with my Grandma. While we were home, my sister went to a lot of work and made us a big dinner and invited all of my Thunder Bay family over (except my Grandma Elsie who can't get up the stairs anymore and my cousin, Douglas, because he lives in New Zealand now). As I sat down to eat our Thanksgiving Dinner, I was getting all those warm fuzzy feelings of being really thankful for my family. At least, I was until I had to eat my brussel sprouts. Then, I kind of wished I had a different sister who wouldn't serve one of my most despised vegetables while my kids were there to watch if I'd eat them or not. Just for the record, I did manage to force them down without gagging or making a big scene. I even managed a false smile as I showed Kaitlyn who "good" they were so she'd try them, too. Which gets me wondering how I have become such a hypocrite. It's no wonder my kids don't like trying new foods. They can see right through my facade. Fortunately, my sister saved her place as Revered Sister of the Suzie by making pie. I forgave her right away. Besides, I had my family there, so how could I not be thankful.
Thanks, Rose, for giving us a little taste of Thanksgiving.
And, even more, I want to say thanks to my Mom and my Grandmas for all the years they made those big family meals that would bring us together. I know I was the world's pickiest eater and I am sure they got no joy from cooking for me. Still, now that I'm an adult, I realize just how much work they put into preparing food and cleaning up and how little I appreciated it at the time. You have made the family table a place to gather and share time with those you love, for which I am grateful.
Oh, and the turkeys, roast beefs, brussel sprouts and squash that you told me I'd learn to like if I ate enough of them? Well, they still aren't really high on my love list, but if that's what it takes to get us all together, I'll eat my portion without complaint and move on to the PIE. :-)
3 comments:
haha! glad you were able to visit your family in Canada...and eat some pie too
Funny how become a parent makes you appreciate yours more. I remember while pregnant with Max, I was sitting in my mother's kitchen feeling quite sorry for myself because I had terrible morning sickness. I declared to my mother that "this baby had better appreciate this." Then I paused. "Thanks mom," I said. Unfortunately, he's a boy, so I'm not sure I will ever get the same favor from him. Maybe Darwyn.
Nice to see everyone, if only in a picture. It made me happy to see everyone so happy and sad to be far away. It was great to get to see your Dad this fall. Maybe you someday. . .
Post a Comment