Friday, December 14, 2012

Heaviness in my heart tonight

It's been awhile since I've blogged and I had planned to do a fun post tonight about all the wonderful memories we've been making over the last month.  But there is a heaviness in my heart tonight.  On the way to my son's winter concert this evening, I heard the news about the elementary school shooting in Connecticut ... a school full of kindergarten to 4th graders.  I was hearing this news as we parked the car in our school's crowded parking lot and then entered a gym full of people.  We watched the shining faces of our young children singing about the holidays, most of them completely unaware of the tragedy that others just like them have just been through.  I cannot describe the feelings I have as I write about this.  I realize that my children are not perfect and there are days when I find them frustrating and difficult to deal with, but it is unfathomable to consider such violence to such innocent little lives.  I try to think about my son facing the horrors that these poor children had to face, but it is inconceivable.  I think of the parents who will never get to see their children's smiles again or hear their laughs or hug their wiggling little bodies.  If it were me in their shoes, I'm not sure how I could go on.  I think my children are the most precious things I have.  May God help those who have had to let theirs go. 

1 comment:

Darla said...

I totally agree. There are no words to describe the sheer agony/terror/confusion of the survivors. Just hope they find comfort in the higher power.