Monday, February 14, 2011

Intro to Ice Fishing

We were at Tom's parents' this last weekend. Ethan has been hearing about ice fishing, but has never had a chance to do it, so Grandpa Rob got the fish house out on the ice and he got an introduction to ice fishing. They were out for about an hour in the morning with no luck. Not even a nibble.

So tell me why this is supposed to be fun again?The guys came home for lunch, then decided to try another spot in the afternoon. It was a gorgeous day out ... in the 40's F ... so I thought I'd come along, too. For someone who grew up in Canada, I seem to know very little about winter sports. I have actually only been ice fishing once before. Now I know why. Just kidding. Actually, it was a beautiful day to be outside and I was enjoying the sunshine and the beautiful view of the lake we were on. Things were much more interesting as far as fishing went, too. We had plenty of bites all afternoon long, although none of the fish we caught were big enough to keep. Ethan thought it was great, especially since we brought a few treats along this time.
And he caught a few ... here he is showing off one of his big catches.

I even caught some. I am a bit ashamed to admit it, but I am afraid to touch the fish ... or bait my hook. I persuaded Tom to take care of those little details for me. However, I now have the next 100 diapers to change. We were up to 200, but i did finally take my minnow (dead by this point) off my hook at the end of the day. If Ethan continues his enthusiasm for fishing, I am afraid I might have to learn these two dreaded skills. Is it still wimpy if you wear gloves doing it? I'd poke around in someone's mouth any day over holding a squirming fish!
Yeah, I know ... a real trophy, eh?

A few lessons.

Meanwhile, back at the cat ranch, Kaitlyn was getting aquainted with Percy (Grandma's inside cat) and my dear Mother-in-Law was very kindly hemming a skirt for me. Am I spoiled or what?

That's it, that's all, there ain't no more ;-0

5 comments:

Neisha said...

Nolan wants to go ice fishing

Jenny said...

Yay You! I don't touch fish or worms either. That's John's job. I go along to take pictures, and that's it.

captainorange said...

We're all individuals, I guess. Don't know how you can raise kids and clean up every poopy mess and runny nose and be concerned about a fish or worm. Just wash your hands before going back to work ;)

Thanks for sharing your day.

shannon g said...

haha! thanks for the post!

katrina said...

We would make a GREAT team fishing together! Guess we better bring Sabrina with us. :)